Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dessert in a jar!

It has been a long time since I have posted on my blog, but I return with a delicious dessert that I made for Easter this year.

Trifle in a jar!


These are super easy to make and it combines two of my favorite things: lemon curd and mason jars! I made two kinds, one is strawberries with lemon curd and the other is blueberry with lemon curd. I made my lemon curd from scratch, but I cheated and used pound cake from the store.



I use the lemon curd recipe by Ina Garten with a few tweaks that I have developed from making the lemon curd many times. She says to use a veggie peeler for the lemon zest then mince it into the sugar using a food processor. I skip this step and use my Microplane for the zest then mix it in with the sugar before creaming it with the butter. One less dish to wash! Ina also calls for extra large eggs. I always have large eggs on hand so I tweak the quantity a bit. I use 4 whole eggs and 1 additional egg yolk.

 The night before I cut up my strawberries and macerated them with a little sugar overnight in the fridge. The day of I washed my blueberries and cut the pound cake into bite-sized chunks. After that assembly is a breeze! I started with a few pieces of pound cake, followed by lemon curd then the fruit. Repeat until the jar is full. I plan on topping these with a little whipped cream to serve.

 Mmm blueberries!

And the delicious strawberry!


I hope you enjoyed this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment